What Kinds of Projects Can Join?
To qualify, projects should meet at least one of the following two objectives:
- Direct energy benefits: improve energy efficiency, reduce energy waste, generate renewable energy, and/or reduce dependence on fossil fuels
- Capacity building: increase people’s awareness, knowledge or skills for one or more of the topics above
Projects can fit into four different categories, allowing many different kinds of projects to qualify:
- Community Project – the project benefits the community in general, not intended to generate profit or personal benefit
- Business or Organizational Initiative – an energy improvement, new service, product, or organizational change made by one or more organizations
- New Venture – a new business or significant expansion of an existing business
- Home Improvement or Lifestyle Change – an action taken by an individual, family, or small group of people
Projects that best fit the intentions behind the Living Energy Laboratory will:
- Deliver results within 6-12 months
- Be affordable or help others afford smart energy solutions
- Be replicable and scalable so others can use the same idea
- Help educate people on energy issues or opportunities
- Have a lasting and measurable impact
- Friday Jan 27: last date for project pitches to be submitted on this website
- Wednesday Feb 1: online voting for the community’s favourite project! The project with the most votes received the “People’s Choice Award”
- Saturday Feb 4: project leaders pitched their project to a panel of experts and competed for cash & other resources
- February – October 2017: selected projects are carried out, and their stories are featured at the Community Energy Fair in mid-October
- Fall 2017: the submission process opens for the next round of Living Energy Laboratory projects!
Project Sponsors and Supporters
The following businesses and organizations have sponsored the Living Energy Laboratory – thank you to our generous sponsors!
- Project Grants: The Nodding Group, L&B Electric, and the LaHave River Credit Union, and the Town of Bridgewater
- Mentorship and Expertise: L&B Electric, RJ Roy Energy Management Services, and the Town of Bridgewater
- In-Kind Services: South Shore Breaker, LighthouseNow, and Staples Bridgewater. And thank you to Bridgewater Mall for hosting our event!
The contributing businesses and organizations are formally recognized as Energize Bridgewater Sponsors.